History of the Harbour OfficeSince 1847, the Harbour Office has been the headquarters of the Belfast Harbour Commissioners.
The first section of the building, designed by the Commissioners' engineer George Smith was opened in 1854 and erected at a cost of £8,000. A subsequent extension, by the celebrated Belfast architect William Henry Lynn, was completed in 1895 at a cost of £14,349. The style of architecture reflects that of an Italian palazzo.
Of particular interest, on entering the building, are the marble mosaic floors in the ground floor reception area and in the first floor lobby. Also noteworthy are the impressive stained glass windows depicting industry, commerce and enterprise, together with the coats of arms of the many ports and cities with which Belfast traded in the past.