Port Waste Management Plan
Belfast Harbour’s Port Waste Management Plan was approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). The plan has been prepared in accordance with the MCA’s guidance on Port Waste Reception Facilities and relevant European and UK legislation.
The overall objectives of this plan are to:
- Describe the facilities available for the reception of all types of ship-generated waste and how the wider waste management system operates in the port, including reporting and record-keeping requirements, the charging system and the complaints procedure.
- Explain the obligations and responsibilities of all parties in the port waste management chain, from ship to final disposal.
- Promote the prevention of pollution from ships and to assist in the reduction of the amounts of waste entering the marine environment.
- Meet legal duties with respect to the management of ship-generated waste.
- Encourage the responsible use of reception facilities in the port and to promote the reuse and recycling of waste, where practical.